We started planning! Agreed on a week in rome and a week at Positano on the Amalfi coast.
About two weeks before we left we decided we couldn’t go without Helen so Catherine booked another ticket. SURPRISE!
So we flew out on sept 19th – the same day as last year!
Arrived in Rome in the early morning and made our way to Via G.
Apartment wasn’t great so arranged another one and it was good. Though Catherine and I had to share a bed. Clare had a bed and Helen had a fold out! But it was cute and convenient .
Had the best week in Rome. Memories include:
* seeing Clare arrive in Rome. Striding down the street backpack strapped to her back
* catching the bus to Trastevere.
* exploring St Peter’s
* the Catacombs!
* eating at the strega cafe
* shopping and buying great shoes
* amazing food
* throwing coins in the fountain Left arm over right shoulder
* wandering the Borghese gardens
Then off to Positano by train, circumsurviano then the local bus. Quite and expedition.
The apartment was great. two bedrooms, where again Catherine and I shared a bed.
beautiful sea green tiles on the floors, magnificent views across the blue waters, pink bouganvillia, and Chez Black where we had coffee each morning.
Highlights of the week:
* Meeting John and Bernie on the bus to Pompei.
* meeting up with them other days and having lots of fun.
* going to capri. Helen being hung over after too many cocktails – namely “sex on the beach”
* no ferries out of Positano
* bus to Amalfi and up to Ravenna. Gorgeous views
* exploring Sorrento
* dinner out and more amazing dinner in cooked by Clare.
Then off to London where once again Catherine and I shared a fold out lounge! Now that was close. even had to turn over at the same time! We stayed with Clare and Shaun in a little flat in Bayswater.
highlights of the week:
* Opera at Albert Hall
* lovely long walks
* exploring the markets, Notting Hill and other antique markets
* sharing time with Clare
* art galleries
* walking the streets