What do I have to show after nearly 5 weeks at the coast?
Not a lot……….
But Steve and I have settled into a very low key pattern of R& R.
We had a lovely Christmas Day with our good friends Carmel and Peter Harrison and their three daughters and their partners.
Since then its all been about swimming, a little walking, sitting on the beach chatting to friends , coffee dates, afternoon drinks and a few lunches and dinners. I must admit to being very lazy and not doing too much in the way of entertaining friends here!
After every everything that happened last year I figure we needed the rest.
So what are my favourite things about the coast? Here’s my
1. Watching the sun rise over the water before the heat of the day.
2. Walks along the coastal path. Passing other walkers who offer a cheery ‘good morning’
3. Swimming. If it’s calm out the front I swim in the ocean. If not then I head to the Caloundra Aquatic Centre. Swimming clears the head. Almost like meditation.
4. Reading. Who doesn’t like taking time to read. I’ve churned through the books these holidays. I’ll do a seperate blog post on books I’ve enjoyed.
5. Umbrella hopping! There are always lots of friends here over Christmas and it’s great to spend time on the beach chatting. Moving from one group to the other.
6. Eating prawns and other delicious summer foods – especially with friends. Yotam Ottolenghi salads have been a feature this year.
7. Discovering a new summer drink. I’m afraid to admit my current favourite is still an Aperol Spritz. It’s always ‘summer in a glass’. And tastes better when shared with friends on the new verandah at the surf club
8. Coffee at Coofee Cat – a retro style cafe a minute walk from our place. Good coffee and always a paper to read.
9. Riding around summer style in the new mini moke. It’s Steve’s new car and has been great over summer for heading to the pool or out to lunch. It’s always attracts comments from the young and not so young.
10. Afternoon naps. And watching the tennis or the cricket. Very Aussie way of spending time at the beach.
What are your favourite things to do on holidays? Please use the comment box to let me know.